Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Hark! The Herald Angels Sing!

Today is Christmas day and I would be lying if I said that I haven't had a few moments these past two days where I felt a little blue not being with my family. As usual though, so many things have been wonderful.
Here is a bit on how amazing my day has been!!

  • It snowed yesterday - almost all day so I woke up to a white Christmas! This is special because usually this time of year it is way too cold to snow. That's right - TOO COLD to snow. It's been a "warm" winter and therefore, snow was a blessing.
  • For a country that doesn't celebrate Christmas, there are tons of Christmas decorations everywhere - Christmas trees (called New Year trees here) are all over the city complete with a star on top!
  • Melba and I gave our fellow teachers little Christmas gift bags which was fun to do!!
  • I've been teaching my students what Christmas is about!

I gave my students the Christmas story cut up and rearranged.
They had to try to put it in order and then answer some reading comprehension questions.
They asked what a manger was. This was my answer.
  • I got to give my students little Christmas gifts - mostly things you would find in a stocking - SO FUN!!

Here is one of my 10th grade classes opening their gifts.

  •  All of the students sang a few Christmas songs just for Melba and I!

This is the common room - the students decorated it to look like a living room.
And did a pretty darn good job!!!
They were singing along with the karaoke on the TV.

    Students singing! 
    More students singing! Notice the big snowman.
  •  After singing, they presented Melba and I with Christmas gifts and notes of appreciation!



I've felt very appreciated here and wouldn't trade the opportunity to tell my students all about my favorite holiday for anything.

Except maybe this face...

My nephew!

Merry Christmas and thank you to all of you who make it possible for me to be here!!! I appreciate your support, both financial and otherwise, 
TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment