Saturday, June 6, 2015

What it's like teaching in a Mongolian public high school

No, I'm not an expert. My experience is limited to three short years teaching 9th-11th graders English as a first language and English as a second language. I've been teaching in a Cambridge Laboratory school which just means that we prepare our students to take the IGCSE (International General Certificate of Secondary Education) exams. It was a challenge as I did not have much training in what to expect in the Mongolian classroom. There are many resources about Chinese students so I was taught a lot about what to expect in a classroom in China. Forgive me, but that was a waste of time.

My very first day
The first thing that surprised me (for some stupid reason) was how normal the kids were and how much more they reminded me of my high school days instead of what I'd learned about the Chinese high schools. I had been told that Asian students are very respectful of their teachers and that the classroom would reflect the honor/shame culture of their society. While there was a degree of truth to this, it was not as present as I expected. At first, they were all very respectful but after a while, the bloom was off the rose and they fell into their different roles (from very smart and attentive all the way to this is challenging for me and I don't want to try anymore so I'm going to play) same as my own high school days. Most, however, were fairly respectful, especially for hormone infused teenagers.

Sports Day. Competition is fierce and calls for war paint.

About half of the students I taught were already very familiar with the English speaking culture. They love our music, films, TV shows (I have a friend who credits the show "Friends" with teaching her English) and even those who weren't familiar with our culture knew our basketball teams and players well. Side note, I got into a cab the other day and the driver could barely say two words in English however he was able to start listing all of the basketball teams. Randomly. "Lakers!" "Miami Heat!" "Chicago Bulls!" And when they asked where I'm from and I reply "Dallas", they know where that is and respond with, "Mavericks!!!"

I often brought clips from TV shows, movies, TED talks, etc. into the classroom which they often enjoyed. 
I've looked out of the teacher room window and have seen the little ones playing hopscotch or keep away. Games such as tic-tac-toe, hangman, rock/paper/scissors (they have their own version) and the like were played everyday. Other similarities include having those students who can't seem to keep their eyes open (my teammates and fellow teachers began offering those students coffee which is why I called them "coffee pushers"), students who try to get the teacher off topic, students who know English so well that they are bored to tears and students who don't have a clue what I'm saying. Students who stare off into nowhere, students who doodle on every assignment, students who can't seem to stop poking each other, students who decide to take their pens apart and get ink everywhere, and students who can't sit still to save their lives (Me: What are you DOING?" Student: "Sometimes I just get the desire to flail my arms about.") And of course, we have problems with getting the students to unplug themselves from their smart phones and tablets - it's like pulling teeth, as if we're asking them to tear a member of their bodies off: "I'm so sorry, Teacher! I'll never play with my phone in class again. Pleeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz give it back!" I just look at them and say dryly, "That's what you said yesterday."

There were a few unexpected and lovely differences though. For the most part, they wanted to be friends outside of class. There were many times when I had scolded a student for misbehaving in class but then afterwords, I'd get a "Hi Teacher!" and a smile in the hallway later. Another fun thing is that when I would invite them to my apartment for a pizza and movie party (you can do that here), they would come and have a great time! I don't ever remember wanting to go to one of my teachers houses. Most seem to want a relationship outside of the classroom and I've been honored by some of them as they've entrusted me with information about secret crushes, dreams, frustrations about family, peer pressures, etc.
Christmas cookies. Always a hit.

Here are a few tidbits for anyone thinking about teaching in Mongolia:

  • It's considered rude to point at someone, at least with one finger so if you need to point to one of your students, try to do it with your whole hand.
  • I would have students point to their noses and ask if they could go to the toilet. I later realized that they were going to blow their noses as it's considered gross to do this around others.
  • As is typical with Asian cultures, cheating is seen as helping. They honestly do not see why we think it's so wrong and I was under the impression that the other Mongolian teachers weren't sticklers like we foreign teachers were.
  • Where we say the teacher "gives" the test and the student "takes" the test, it's the opposite here. The student "gives" the test and the teacher "takes" it. This can be confusing: "Teacher. When are you going to take the test?" "I'm not, you are. Oh wait."
  • All students wear uniforms with small differences depending on your school and grade.
  • They just recently added a 12th grade - up until this year (2015) students graduated after 11th.
  • They LOVE performing and at least once a quarter will find a reason to display their talents to each other and the teachers. Singing (both pop and traditional Mongolian songs), dancing (same), acting, and playing instruments (mainly Mongolian instruments).
  • Other huge interests include robot building, chess, sports day, soccer, basketball, anime, Japanese horror films, pizza and chicken.
  • We celebrate "Teacher Appreciation Day" and the students will perform for us and give us hugs and gifts. It's a good day.

Teacher Appreciation Day 
This is one of the gifts I received one year! One of my very talented students drew this picture of me.
  • The Mongolian culture is a very touchy-feely one and I often looked up to see students holding hands, arms around friends, playing with each other's hair, sharing the same chair, etc. There were days when I had to say things like, "Jake! Get her hair out of your mouth."
  • They very much believe in things like evolution and global warming and yet I've heard many of them talking about believing in ghosts, aliens, mermaids and the like as well. Sounds like high school to me.
  • They are in the crossroads of not only childhood and adulthood but also in a culture that seems to be rapidly changing. They are choosing whether or not to hold on to their grandparents traditions (only just reclaimed in the last 30 years when Mongolia declared their independence from Russia) and being very attracted to the English speaking culture.
  • The education system here LOVES to give exams and mock exams. At least once a quarter, it seemed like we were giving exams in addition to the regular tests over what we were teaching in class. 
  • Teens can't drive until they turn 18.
  • It's very rare, but teachers are allowed to punish students in a physical way such as hitting them with a belt. 
  • I gave all my classes a point system where they could earn points for good behavior and lose points for bad behavior. Once they hit certain goals, they were rewarded with games, a movie in class day and finally a pizza party. Most responded very well to this system.
Make your own pizza party with some of my 11th graders last year.
  • I don't know this as a fact but I believe that most, if not all, of my students have been exposed to terrible abuse, alcoholism, abortion, incest, abandonment, sex trafficking and more. There are organizations set up and being set up to bring these issues to light and provide help but work like this can be slow going and this culture does not yet embrace sharing difficult personal things. There were many times when my students' pain was obvious and I regret not being able to help more than lend a listening ear. 
  • They all believe that if they learn English well, their future will be better. Many dream of going to an English speaking country for University and then coming back and making Mongolia a better, stronger country. 

Some of our graduates last year. Precious.
A few 12th graders who graduated last year celebrated Christmas with us. Mainly for cookies I think...


Braiding hair.


My 10th grade pizza party this year.


Students in their traditional Mongolian deels playing their traditional Mongolian instruments called Morin Khuurs.
If you are planning on teaching in Mongolia, I will tell you that I found these kids to be very bright, clever, and warm. Things like apologizing for your mistakes, holding them to a standard, allowing them laugh and joke, allowing them to voice their opinions, etc. make a big impression on them. You can actually show them that you care and most of them will respond favorably to that. I'm leaving the Mongolian classroom feeling very lucky and honored to have been a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. First, wow! That kid has amazing talent. He should be an animator or something. :D

    Second, I can only remember one teacher ever coming to my house and we are still friends on Facebook. It was her practice to visit the homes and parents in the summer of the students she would be teaching the following year. It really meant a lot to me. Teachers making an effort to be even a small part of the personal lives of their students means more than you can imagine. I believe that is one of the reasons my mom was so often listed as the "favorite teacher" of graduating seniors at the school my mom taught at.

    Aside from a chid's parents, their school teachers are often the most influential persons in their lives. I am so proud of what you have been doing the last three years. I know there were tough times but you meant more to those kids than you will ever know. You made a difference, possibly a bigger difference than you can imagine in their lives and, who knows, maybe even in the future of that country.

    ReplyDelete