Monday, April 1, 2013

Camels, Eagles, Vultures, Dog Sleds, Frozen Rivers, Closed Streets = A Happy Easter!

This past weekend, I celebrated my second Easter here in Mongolia. We celebrated a very old Jewish custom that many experience this time of year. Only we did it in a ger! We began by taking a bus out to the countryside as a team and it was awesome - clear blue skys, beautiful mountains and clean air. While we were waiting for our lamb to be prepared, some of us walked along a frozen river that was really blue under the ice while others went horse back riding (I still can't get over how small and stout these Mongolian horses are) and some went hiking up the mountain. We also couldn't resist having our own Easter Egg hunt - I came in second by the way...
 
A dog sled was available for anyone who would like a trip around the river.
This is my friend David posing with one of the eagles and vultures that were available for pictures. There were also camel rides but I didn't get any good pictures of them.
As the ceremony began, we remembered all that our spiritual ancestors had been through and Who brought them through it all. Then we remembered what had been done for each and every one of us to bring us closer to Him. After this, we ate lamb and simple vegetables prepared in a very traditional Mongolian fashion. It was amazing!
 
My view on Easter morning - you can't even see the mountain from the snow falling so heavy!
Easter morning, we woke up to huge snow flakes - we must have gotten at least 5 inches of snow - it was perfect! They don't celebrate Easter here but yesterday was a Love the Earth type of holiday so most of the roads around the city center were closed and people were out and about - it was nice to walk everywhere without breathing in the car fumes or crossing the road without worrying about getting hit. Then last night, they were sending lanturns up into the sky. I ended the night by going out to Brad and Ruths house which is a ways from the city lights and I've never seen so many stars in my life!!!!
 
The main city streets were closed so many Mongolians took the opportunity to rollerblade and ride their bikes through the streets!
 
 However, this is by far my most favorite picture. My nephew with an Easter Egg. I just can't beat that.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment