Thursday, October 17, 2013

I've Got Skills! No, I've Got A Skill!

Ever since I learned that I couldn't hit a baseball, even when it was placed on a cone in front of me in T-Ball, I've known athletics was not going to play a big part in my life. Totally fine with this except people seem to think that I should be able to play SOMETHING at least. For example, last year around this time, my fellow Mongolian teachers insisted I play volleyball on their team against a rival school. I soon proved that I was not a liar and indeed, have absolutely NO TALENT at hitting a volleyball anywhere but out of bounds. They quickly replaced me with another teacher before anymore points were lost.

A couple of weekends ago, we took all our students to the countryside to watch them compete in tons of different sports. They have the teachers compete here and there against each other as well. So, here come the questions:
Do you play soccer? No.
Do you run? Heck no.
Do you play tug of war? N- oh, well, yeah, I can do that...
So, I got at the back of the rope and wrapped it around my hips as my students suggested and pulled. My hips finally proved helpful at something other than taking up too much room and my team won! Finally, something I can do that would qualify as a sport!!! ;)

Other than that, I spent most of the day watching our students compete and I couldn't be more proud of them! They all worked together beautifully, cheered each other on, and ran their tails off. Relay races, sprints, long jumps, soccer, and of course, wrestling just to name some highlights. Here are a few pictures - most taken by a fellow teacher Boggee who is much more talented at pics than me :)

One of our buses broke down so we took pictures of course.
"MT" are our school's initials.

Mugi and I have lunch almost everyday together.

Some of my 11th grade girls - so cute.

I don't know how they are able to drink a whole
2-liter and still be toothpicks!


Girls races.
They love soccer.

Lady teacher tug of war! My teammate Melba is in purple.

My athletic skill! I'm in the back, winning with my hip power.

Wrestling is the favorite of Mongolia.
I got to help hand out medals. Billy won about 7 that day.
And was hurting on Monday...
Everyone together!

No comments:

Post a Comment